For further information and images of the cathedral interior please select an area from below:











Holy Trinity Chapel

Built by Edward Vaughan, Bishop 1509-22, in the perpendicular style complete with fan vaulting.  It was constructed in what was originally an open courtyard that had been filled with rubbish.  It was transformed into this exquisite chapel in which Bishop Vaughan lies buried.




The altar and altar piece are reconstructed from medieval fragments.  The reredos behind the altar depicts St James, St Andrew, St Peter and St Paul.

The Latin text reads: "Behold the Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world".




Detail from the fan vaulting; both the roof and walls are adorned with fine carving.




The original pilgrims recess set in what was an external wall (12th century).  The casket contains bones believed by many to those of St David and St Justinian.

 


Holy Trinity Chapel location



Chwilio/Search:
(Chwilio Manwl/Advanced Search)  

 

Copyright St Davids Cathedral - Site design Aukett Brockliss Guy